Kashi Celebrates Cross-Country Skier Kikkan Randall On Being Nominated To Team USA
Four-Time Olympian Inspires Eating Positive as She Gears Up for the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games
Jan 22, 2014
BATTLE CREEK, Mich., Jan. 22, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Kashi®, a natural foods pioneer, congratulates its partner athlete, cross-country skier Kikkan Randall on being nominated to Team USA for the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games. As she goes head-to-head with the competition in Sochi, Russia, it will mark her fourth Olympic Winter Games.
Randall knows the importance of good nutrition when it comes to fueling an active lifestyle. Four years ago, she changed her diet by adding simpler, natural ingredients, which helped improve her race performance and led to her winning back-to-back World Cup sprint titles. If she medals in Sochi, Randall will be the first ever American woman to reach the podium in cross-country skiing.
"Throughout my competition prep, I've learned you can't out-train bad nutrition. If you want to perform at your very best, you have to eat positive," said Randall. "It's important for me to have convenient foods with max nutritional value, including Kashi's hot and cold cereals and snack bars, to bring with me for long days on the slopes."
As Randall prepares for Sochi, here are a few of her favorite nutrition tips:
- Inspiration-fueled workouts. Rocking out to custom playlists is a great way to keep moving during a rigorous routine. Or, get really creative and pretend that you are a heroine on-the-run in a video game or action movie.
- Rise with intention. Start each day off right by getting up early (read: before sunrise in Alaska for me!), allowing enough time for you, your family and your body. A nutritious breakfast with the right carb-protein balance provides a foundation to fuel your day with plenty of energy.
- Snacking positively. It's important to fuel properly before any workout – whether in the back country or at a yoga studio. Keep wholesome, on-the-go snacks like Kashi bars in your office, car or backpack to keep fueled whenever, wherever.
- Get real with your food. Eating positive doesn't mean compromising taste. Look for real foods and ingredients that add color and taste to any dish – like naturally-sweet, antioxidant-rich blueberries for a burst of brightness or crunchy chia seeds for extra fiber.
As the 2014 Olympic Winter Games approach, Kashi invites consumers to follow the journey of Team USA to Sochi with nationally airing 15 and 30 second "Kikkan versus Kikkan" television spots. Randall shares her eat positive story on the Kashi website and social media channels, and gives a sneak peek into her training regimen with the "Call of the Wild" online video footage. Randall will also be highlighted on limited edition GOLEAN® cereal boxes.
"Teaming up with Kikkan, Kashi hopes to inspire others to fuel their healthy lifestyle by eating a little better every day," said John King, Kashi marketing director. "Being nominated to Team USA demonstrates how positive nutrition can give you an edge, and we couldn't be more excited for her to compete in Sochi."
Meet Kikkan Randall – Cross-Country Skiing
Randall, now a four-time Olympian, started skiing to stay in shape as a cross-country runner during the winter season. Since her first Olympic Games in 2002, she has become the most successful U.S. female cross-country skier in history, winning back-to-back World Cup sprint titles and securing the first ever World Championship medal for the U.S. Women's Ski Team in 2009. A 2013 World Champion, she first started eating Kashi as a child with her father and now trains for her competitions with Kashi GOLEAN cereals.
- Click to Tweet: Learn how @kikkanimal gets better every year… find her #eatpositive story here: www.kashi.com/eatpositive @KashiFoods #GoTeamUSA
- Click to Tweet: Congrats to all members nominated to #TeamUSA, including @KashiFoods athlete @kikkanimal! #Sochi2014 @KashiFoods #eatpositive
- Click to Tweet: This is #TeamUSA's year for cross-country skiing. Good luck to @kikkanimal as she preps for #Sochi2014! @KashiFoods #eatpositive
About Kashi Company
Founded in 1984, Kashi dreams of a world where everyone embraces natural health. As a natural lifestyle pioneer, Kashi is passionate about and committed to improving the health of people and our planet. By providing great tasting, nutritious and progressive foods, Kashi enables people to achieve optimal health and wellness, while also leading them on a path toward embracing a natural lifestyle. Kashi is committed to using organic ingredients and those that have not been genetically modified, and the brand is the number one provider of Non-GMO Project Verified cereals in the U.S. Kashi encourages people to live their best lives through its interactive online community at Kashi.com. The company also champions non-profit organizations working to keep real food in the minds and hands of communities across the country through the Kashi REAL Project. To learn more about nearly 30 years of Kashi's mission, sustainable efforts, values and roots, check out What We Believe on Kashi.com.
Kashi's products are natural, minimally processed and free of highly refined sugars, artificial additives and preservatives. Kashi® brands and foods include: GOLEAN® cereals and bars; Kashi® Heart to Heart® cereal, instant oatmeal and whole grain crackers; Kashi® 7 Whole Grain Puffs, Honey Puffs, Nuggets and Flakes cereals; Kashi® Good Friends® cereal; Kashi® Autumn Wheat®, Cinnamon Harvest®, Island Vanilla®, Simply Maize®, Indigo Morning™, Berry Fruitful® and Strawberry Fields® (organic) cereals; Kashi® Honey Sunshine® and Berry Blossoms® cereals; Kashi® Pita Crisps; Kashi® chewy and crunchy granola bars, layered granola bars, soft-baked cereal bars, soft n' chewy bars; Kashi® snack crackers and cookies; Kashi® all natural frozen waffles, entrees and pizzas; Kashi® Steam Meal™ and Kashi® 7 Whole Grain Pilaf.
SOURCE Kellogg Company
For further information: Callie Bruhn, 503-471-6816, email@example.com; or Media Hotline, Kellogg Company, 269-961-3799, firstname.lastname@example.org